Respite Care For When Caregivers Need A Break
If you look after someone who is sick, disabled, or has limited functional capacity, chances are it’s a 24 hour job. You need a break from time to time to care for yourself or to take care of personal needs. Chosen Family’s respite care program can help. Take time to relax and overcome caregiver stress through respite care.
What is respite care for family caregivers?
Respite care is essentially a break for caregivers that are caring for their loved ones. Respite care can be the lifeline that a family caregiver or their loved one needs. Because of its short-term nature, respite care is a type of home care that usually involves caregiving on a limited or temporary basis.
Why respite care with a home care agency?
At Chosen Family Home Care, we understand how difficult caring for a family member or loved one can be. We also know the positive difference respite care can make in the life of family caregiver. Whether providing care to a spouse, parent, grandparent, or loved one and you need outside assistance, our caregivers are available to lend a helping hand.
The need for a break and family caregiver statistics
- 55% of caregivers feel overwhelmed by the amount of care needed for a family member.
- Caregivers spend an average of 24.4 hours per week providing care to a family member.
- 1 in 5 caregivers report physical strain due to caregiving duties.
- Caregiver burden and stress is prevalent among a large group of family caregivers.
- LGBT caregivers may face additional burdens and concerns. Thes
Avoiding caregiver stress burnout with respite care
Over 40 million Americans act as a family caregiver for their loved ones. If you are one of them, this type of care can make a world of difference. Family caregivers are at very high risk of physical and mental exhaustion. As a result, many caregivers face the potential for caregiver burnout.
Respite care at home can dramatically reduce your risk of burnout. It can make caring for your loved one more manageable. When you need a chance to rest and recuperate, Chosen Family Home Care can provide care services to your loved one. You can take the time to care for yourself or just simply relax and recharge. If the regular routine of caregiving has become overwhelming, we can perform scheduled respite visits to reduce your workload.
Benefits of respite care for a senior loved one
- Take a break. Respite care allows family caregivers the chance to rest and relax.
- Maintain your health and well being. It doesn’t have to be a long time away. Even a break of several hours can lower caregiver stress, reduce blood pressure, recharge your batteries, and restore a sense of balance or purpose.
- Time away helps you alleviate caregiver burnout and keep things in proper perspective. You might even think of better ways to do things or provide care.
- Use respite care to maintain your sense of self and preserve identity. Caregivers are important, too.
- Promote engagement. Social isolation can be a huge problem for caregivers. Take time to engage with friends and family away from your caregiving duties.
- Be your best at caretaking. Taking care of your needs allows you to return refreshed so you can continue to provide the best care to your loved one in the future.
- Prevent poor habits from forming with family caregivers. When a caregiver is overworked, they may start some bad practices in order to manage their stress. Caregivers may drink more or exercise less when faced with the burden of family care. A needed break can help keep up good habits and a positive routine.
- A major concern caregivers experience is not receiving adequate support. As possibly the only family member able to provide support, respite care can offer needed breaks. A professional caregiver can also give pointers and advice based on their experience and the experience working with your loved one.
Home Health Care That Fits Your Schedule
With Chosen Family Home Care, you can request temporary help for as much or as little time as you need. Your schedule is demanding, so we can have a respite caregiver ready and available as you need and on a schedule that works for you.
We will evaluate the needs of your senior loved one and ensure that they receive the same care and compassion you provide while you’re away. You don’t have to provide care for your loved ones alone. Reach out to us today to find out all the ways that Chosen Family can help.
Loved ones can benefit, too
Respite care in the home doesn’t just benefit the family caregiver, but it can also provide benefits to the loved one that receives care. By providing a loved one respite care, they may experience:
- New friends and connections with peers
- Opportunities for growth and development
- Reduced feelings of social isolation and depression
- Educational and social activities that challenge their abilities
- A comfortable introduction to the senior living community, if respite care is done in a residential facility
Considering the next step
Caring for a loved one is challenging but also rewarding. Family caregivers need to understand the importance of taking necessary breaks. Practicing self-care is critical so they can continue to find both joy and success in their role.
It’s important to acknowledge that caregiving can come with feelings of loss, emotional stress, and physical strain. This can risk the health and wellbeing of a family caregiver. They must account for their own needs or take a break when necessary. Respite care provided by Chosen Family Home Care is a convenient and flexible solution for many families.
With respite care, family caregivers can rediscover the joy they first found in caregiving. Chosen Family Home Care helps families find a balance between caring for their loved one and taking good care of themselves. Our caregivers are passionate about their work, build meaningful bonds with both the client and their family, and ensure that everyone is on the same page.
By selecting Chosen Family Home Care, family caregivers receive full support that includes:
- Professionally trained caregivers
- Structured activity tailored to an individual’s interests designed to engage them physically, mentally and emotionally
- Assistance with tasks like cooking, cleaning, bathing, dressing and shopping
- Preparing meals and dietary assistance
- 24/7 monitoring and notification services
- Medication reminders
- Monitoring after procedures
- Accompaniment to appointments and events
- Safety assessments in the home
To learn more about our supportive in-home and respite services, contact Chosen Family Home Care today.